Novoclimat Small Multiple-Unit Building
Novoclimat - Small Multiple-Unit Building promotes the construction of residential buildings with high energy performance, according to specific construction requirements.
The Novoclimat Small Multiple-Unit Building program applies to:
- duplexes, triplexes and quadruplexes
- multiple-unit buildings of three or fewer storeys and 600 m2 and less.
The types of buildings eligible are private, i.e. condominiums or dwelling units, or social housing.
- The buildings must be built by a contractor who has obtained Novoclimat certification from the Bureau de normalisation du Québec (BNQ) and use as the main energy source for heating electricity, natural gas, or residual forest biomass. The buildings are inspected, tested and delivered with government certification confirming that they meet the objectives of the Novoclimat program.
- Conversion or recycling projects may be eligible provided that they satisfy all of the Novoclimat requirements.
A Novoclimat dwelling unit or condominium offers numerous advantages:
- more energy efficient dwelling units, which will reduce your energy costs by around 20%;
- superior comfort since more airtight walls mean fewer unpleasant drafts;
- better air quality because of the mechanical ventilation heat recovery system that draws fresh air into the main rooms;
- better temperature control through the use of electronic thermostats but, above all, by means of superior insulation and the installation of energy-efficient windows that help to keep warm inside in winter and cool air inside in the summer;
- a dwelling built by trained, certified professionals since only specially trained builders and ventilation specialists who have obtained Novoclimat certification issued by the Bureau de normalisation du Québec may build small multiple-unit buildings and install a ventilation system in them.
It should be noted that the purchase of a condominium in a Novoclimat certified building does not entitle the owner to financial assistance, which is paid instead to the project’s promoter.
If you wish to take advantage of the rebate offered by the Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC) on your insurance premium with the purchase of an energy-efficient home, ask the project’s promoter for a copy of the Novoclimat certificate. Learn more about the CMHC Eco Plus Program.
Do not hesitate to contact us at 1 866 266-0008 to obtain additional information.
All of the work under the Novoclimat Small Multiple-Unit Building program is under the responsibility of the applicant (owner, organization,contractor, real estate developer or other). It must be carried out by a Novoclimat certified contractor, and a Novoclimat certified independent or centralized ventilation specialist must install the ventilation system.
The role of the MELCCFP is to verify at different stages of construction compliance with the requirements of the small multiple-unit building section of the Novoclimat program. The verification usually enables the MELCCFP to certify the building under the program.
Share this page